Pastoral Care is your church caring for you in all of the stages of life, through all of the joys and challenges. This is what pastoral care looks like at our church:
- Stephen Ministry provides one-on-one care and support to members of the congregation and the community who are going through a difficult time in life, such as grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or relocation. While our Pastors will always be on the front line of Pastoral Care, especially during times of crisis, our Stephen Ministers are available to give supplemental care and support when the needs arise.
- A Stephen Minister begins a relationship when he or she is matched with a person experiencing a life crisis. The Stephen Ministers then meet with that person on a weekly basis to listen, encourage, and provide emotional and spiritual support. The relationship lasts as long as the person is in need of care.
- Since 1975, more than 600,000 people from more than 13,000 congregations and other organizations have been trained as Stephen Ministers. Stephen Ministry has been active at the Congregational Church of New Canaan since 2005. Currently we have 38 commissioned ministers available.
- If you are going through a difficult time or know someone who is, and would like to request a Stephen Minister, contact: Beth Baker, firstname.lastname@example.org or Rev. Kibbie Laird, Kibbie@godsacre.org, (203)966-2651×102.
Stephen Ministry 2021/2022 Meeting Schedule
We meet every third Monday of the month from 7 – 8:30pm.
Meetings will take place in the Parlor with the option to join via Zoom.
September 20, October 18, November 15, January 17, February 21, March 21, April 18 & May 16
Prayer Shawl Ministry
- Since 2005 the Prayer Shawl Ministry has knitted shawls for members and friends of the church who are experiencing significant life challenges.
- The shawls are made with love and blessed with prayers in worship. They have become a healing presence to all who receive them.
- If you have always wanted to knit, this is a wonderful time to join us! We share secrets of the craft and are rewarded as a group that cares deeply for one another. No experience is needed, and all supplies are provided.
- Knitters gather on the 2nd and 4th Monday from 10am-11:30am in the parlor. Contact: Troy Elliott, (203) 966-8183.
Prayer Chain Ministry
- Members of the prayer chain receive requests via email to pray for those needing help. Anyone may join, and all information is kept confidential. We pray for our own members, as well as our extended family, neighbors, etc.to make sure they are not alone.
- Stephen Ministry handles all visitations.
- To join and/or send requests for prayer Contact: BJ Flagg, (203) 216-5642, email@example.com
- The Flower Ministry is a team of talented members who design floral arrangements each week for worship both at the altar and in the Narthex. They let people know they are loved and remembered in our church, especially when they cannot be with us.
- Rev. Kibbie Laird chooses a few members to be blessed with the altar flowers and the flower delivery is performed by the Deacon of the Month that Sunday.
The Card Ministry is a group of members who enjoy handwriting cards of sympathy, support, and other expressions of caring.
- Cards with a few endearing words are sent to those who need encouragement and support through a difficult time.
- We also celebrate our unsung heroes who devote their time to helping others.
- Cards are supplied to the ministry team members or members may use their own.
- Contact: Stephanie Radman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Transportation Ministry is a group of volunteers who provide weekly rides to Church, Bible Study and other church activities for parishioners who cannot drive.
- To participate contact: Rev. Kibbie Laird, 203-966-2651×102. Kibbie@godsacrg.org
In short, we are the hands and feet of Christ, doing Christ’s work in this world. If you would like to join one of these important ministries or you know someone who needs a little extra care and love, please email Rev. Kibbie Laird at Kibbie@godsacre.org.
For More Information Minister:
The Rev. Kathryn Kibbie Laird
Acting Associate Minister of Children, Youth, and Families
(203) 966-2651, x102
We do covenant with the Lord and with one another, and do bind ourselves in the presence of God to walk together in all His ways, according as He is pleased to reveal Himself unto us in His blessed word of truth. Amen.